Sunday 9 December 2012

286: Baked Pork with Mustard and Dill

I've got it in my head that I once cooked sometihng very similar to this from Bridget Jones's Comfort Food book. However, I can't find it in my list of posts and I didn't refer to any recipe when putting it together.... so it's kind of approaching my own recipe. I seem to remember it being rather a faff first time out.

As every on a sunday I wanted something hearty, tasty and with a good prospect of being just as good served as leftovers on the Monday evening.

Ingredients, enough for 4 *cough* healthly sized portions:
  • 1 packet of 8 pork chop steaks.
  • 1 big onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 big handful dill
  • 3 or 4 medium carrots
  • About a dozen Maris Piper potatoes
  • Mustard powder
  • ~2 pints chicken stock (although I guess pork stock would've been better)
  • 1 tea spoon cornflour
Method:
  • As ever all my recipes start with chopping (small) and slow frying the onion adding the chopped garlic towards the end
  • While this was frying I chopped the carrots, parsnip and half the potatoes into 3/4" bite sized chunks
  • Once done, plonk all these into a big casserole dish
  • There's little less appealing than pasty pork. Well apart from Coronation Chicken. So, into a hot pan with the pork steaks until they've got a little colour; trying to stand them on their ends to ensure the fat gets nicely coloured too
  • Into the casserole with them too
  • Make some stock and put some mustard powder in it. Cover all the lumps. Stir, put the lid on and into a low ~150c oven for a couple of hours
  • Slice the rest of the potatoes thinly
  • Have yourself a minute; there's nothing to do for a while
  • Once the vegetables have softened a bit in the stock. Mix the cornflour, with some more mustard (to taste) and some of the liquid from the pot. Add the dill. And then stir in
  • Arrange the thinly sliced potatoes on the top
  • Back into a hotter ~200c oven, until the potatoes are golden
And here you go:
Crispy spuds on top. Rich sauce underneath. Just the thing for a cold winter's night.



4 comments:

  1. Loving that crunchy potato topping. I need this for my lunch today... how much to get you to deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this, a sort of Irish Stew but with pork. I love dill so will be making this when it grows again next year (I hope it will grow again next year).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dom - for you? I'm sure some sort of cake swap deal can be organised to both our happiness.

    Kath - good luck with the dill. I must confess part of my inspiration for this dish came when I found a packet in Tesco's for 4p

    ReplyDelete

Go on leave me a message (but don't be mean):